Nutrition is referred to as one of the greatest environmental factors on the mother’s womb. It is essential throughout the infant and early years of child development. A fully balanced nutrition diet followed in childhood time plays a critical role in brain development, cognitive development.
The role of nutrition is deeply correlated with brain development. Therefore, the shortage of nutrition reduces the brain cells production and size of the cells. Nutrient deficiency also impacts the chemical process of the brain, which leads to the communication gap between the brain cells.
It has been claimed by Georgieff MK. Nutrition head of the department of Pediatrics and child development, “shortage of nutrients such as iodine , irone may disturb cognitive and motor development. Similarly, the growing elements such as DHA, fatty acids are considered as key elements for the intensive production of synapses which is crucial for development and learning. Other nutrients such as folic acid, zinc and choline are also linked with brain development and functioning.
In early childhood the food they consume is very important for their brain development because it is directly or indirectly related to cognitive and neurological development. There are several foods that help to stay focused while positively affecting the brain development.
- Egg: The nutrition found in egg promotes brain development, concentration and mental focus in the children. Apart from that, egg yolk is one of the rich source of Vitamin-B complex choline which is associated with neurological development.
- Yogurt / Curd: Healthy fats are essential for brain development. It helps in communication between brain cells, promoting the ability of the cells to send and receive messages. Yogurt can also be utilised with healthy granules and fruits for extra vitamins and minerals.
- Green leaf: spinach and kale are considered as a superfood packed with sufficient amounts of folate, vitamins and antioxidants which promote the development of brain cells. Green leaves are rich in Vitamin-K, Vitamin-C, Vitamin-E and Folic Acid which enhance cognitive function.
- Fish: It is rich in Vitamin D and Omega-3. It is a rich nutrient for the brain.It is also a great source of calcium, phosphorus and minerals such as zinc, iodine,magnesium and potassium.
- Nuts and Seeds: Seeds and nuts are packed with protein, fatty acid, vitamins and minerals which are essential for brain development. For example Walnuts have significant high concentration of DHA and Omega which significantly promote the cognitive development
There are some foods which need to be avoided while in the developed age group. Always try to avoid processed food , fast food and boxed food which include polyunsaturated fats. It causes inflammatory response in the brain tissue as a result it damages the brain cells. Consuming excessive amounts of possessed sugar can lead to diabetes. In this disorder glucose level is affected, high glucose level in blood is harmful for the developing brain of young children.Therefore, the right amount of carbohydrate should be maintained in a balanced diet.
It is advised that food is considered as a fuel for a child’s brain which directly impacts the brain development and cognitive development. However, to learn more about your child’s cognitive development and brain development contact Institute of Neuro development, we provide Special Diagnostic Test, Special Educator, Pediatric- Neurologist support and councillors under one roof. We are excited to serve our best offering to you.